Pages

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

2D Week 07 - Final Illustration

For this weeks assignment we took all the concepts that we learned over the past few weeks and had to make a final illustration.  Along with that we took an artist that we looked at and used some elements of their artwork as inspiration in ours.

The artist that I chose was Matt Rhodes.  I was influenced by his linework and how he rendered clothing.  Along with that I was influenced by his way of coloring/shading his characters.  There's a really good video showing his process and I tried to emulate it but I found it hard trying to render a character in the way that he does it.  It's a super cool process and is quick and produces cool results but I just couldn't get it to look right.

So instead, I did a hybrid of his style and mine.  I'm more into graphic illustrations with hard cel shading and less into painterly things but I wanted to try merging the two.  I really like how rough it looks and how it still maintained that graphic feel.  I learned a lot doing this and had a really good time drawing it!

The illustration is a scene from a Dungeons and Dragon's campaign that I'm in where my character Ren (the one in the foreground) is encountered by an old enemy that he has been looking for in a dark and corrupted forest.  The enemy is a Drow soldier who got corrupted by Fey magic and who's appearance got slightly distorted.  This scene illustrates Ren being caught off guard seeing her and on the defensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment